Canine Good Neighbour & Rally-O Preparation Course
This course is aimed at preparing students to take the 12-part evaluation for the Canine Good Neighbour certificate from the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC). The Canadian Kennel Club created the Canine Good Neighbour program to have a standard that people can train towards and get recognition for – once your dog passes their evaluation they get a certificate and you can use the initials “CGN” after your dog’s name. Students will learn about the 12 exercises in the evaluation and will be helped to build a training plan aimed at passing the evaluation. As a bonus, in each class students will at the same time learn about and prepare for the first level of the exciting dog sport of Rally-Obedience. The class will be taught by a title-winning obedience and Rally-O instructor.
The 12 part CGN evaluation includes: (Click here for more detailed descriptions)
- Accepting a Friendly Stranger
- Politely Accepting Petting
- Accepting Grooming and Examination
- Walking Politely on a Loose Leash
- Walking Through a Crowd
- Sit/Down on Cue / Stay 6 Meters
- Come When Called
- Calm Down After Play
- Not Significantly Reactive to Passing Dog
- Not Significantly Reactive to Distractions (strollers, joggers, noises)
- Comfortable During Supervised Isolation (Handler leaves dog)
- Correct Walking through Doorways/Gates
Rally-Obedience shows will be described and an overview of a typical Rally-O course provided, skills taught will include formal heeling, turns, serpentines and finishes. For more on Rally-O see the Canadian Association of Rally Obedience.
Program and Enrollment - Click here to pre-register!
6 classes. Advance registration is required. Maximum of five dogs. $150.00 (plus tax)
Monday, September 8, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, September 15, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, September 22, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, September 29, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, October 6, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Monday, October 13, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Dogs must have received their full sets of puppy vaccinations and be a minimum of 16 weeks old. Dogs over six months old must have had their rabies vaccination.
- Completion of Puppy Foundations course at Dog Friendship Inc. - an equivalent may be acceptable at our discretion if owners and dogs have a solid understanding of clicker training and prerequisite behaviours.
- Dogs must be friendly and tolerant of people and other dogs and able to greet people and other dogs appropriately when on leash. This class does not address dogs that bark and lunge at people or other dogs when on leash.
- Prerequisite behaviours include: hand target/touch, sit, down, come, stay, loose leash walking basics (a high level of fluency is not necessary, however the basics of the behaviours must be understood by both dog and owner and must have been trained using positive reinforcement techniques)